Pages

27 May 2013

Huglekultur?

The subject of raised beds has come up again on the DTE forum this week and one of the moderators posted this link to huglekultur on the thread. I found it very interesting as I've already made beds from piles of thin rotting sticks, dead weeds and leaves and my capsicums have thrived in them. As I also don't have a dedicated compost bin/s I make garden waste into piles to  become mulch/compost.

As it was a lovely day today I decided to do some cleaning up in the vege garden. This is my trial run of a fibrous huglekultur using woody green weeds and dead mulberry leaves on the bottom then layers of farmer's friends and pumpkin vines with a topcoat of mainly alder and rotting loquat leaves, mixed through with the humus that was underneath them when I raked them up, along with some soil. All this was wet down liberally with water and when it decomposes will be part of the filling for a new raised bed on this spot.


A good afternoon's work and later in the week I'll water it with comfrey and nettle solution to assist  the decomposition.

Meanwhile, I have my eye on a pile of assorted dead branches/trees that DH is waiting to dry out so he can burn them. They'd make a great base for a big huglekultur in the pumpkin patch area!

Cheers,
Robyn xo

2 comments:

  1. Ilike the huglekultur idea. I have been looking at all the mulberry tree leaves blowing around and thinking of doing something with them. Will give this a go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Robyn my late great aunt live in a tiny terrace in Bondi Junction with a pocket handkerchief garden where she produced lots of vegies (for the weeny space). Auntie would take the day's peelings out to the garden with some wet newspaper and fork it into the soil well. It paid dividends.

    ReplyDelete