Pages

3 Jul 2019

Reduce, Repair, Reuse

This has always been an ongoing project of mine as I really dislike clothing going in the trash, or even going to an op shop if I can still use it.

It reduces the amount we purchase if I can repair the item and reuse it.

Over the last 3 months I have rescued the items below from the rag bag or the trash by performing the following repairs:
  • 2 Men's flannelette shirts - one had  torn cuff repaired and the other was a collar reversal and repair (photos below).
  • 2 Men's long pyjama pants - one needed waist elastic replaced and the other required mending of a seam and the drawstring replaced.
  • 4 pairs of Men's pants - a zipper replacement in workpants, a hem stitched on casual dress pants, a large leg patch on thigh of jeans and finally the major patch-up and trim and bind hem on PC's favourite workpants (photos below).
  • 1 pair of farm jeans, that are too small for me now, I patched a leg rip and gifted them to a friend of mine and her teenage daughter now wears them as farm jeans..
  • replacing stretched elastic on a mattress cover.

My first ever collar repair! Quite proud of this as it was a collar turnover repair and a new top piece for the inside of the collar stand. The rest of the shirt was fine and my thrifty heart wouldn't let me throw it out, or recycle it into something else, when it could still be used for it's original purpose.


PC loves these pants as they have lined knee sections, lots of pockets big enough to shove spanners/screwdrivers  tools in, and they are comfortable.

There are still a few items I want to repair before the end of this month:

  • 2 pairs of Men's farm jeans to patch, one of which is a major undertaking like the photos above, and
  • 1 pair of track pants that need ribbing for the leg cuffs.
Cheers,
RobynLouise xo

5 comments:

  1. Wow. You have done well. Keep on !

    ReplyDelete
  2. i keep all my items for repairs or repurpose as i just don't want to throw them out either but am not much of a sewer so they are just sitting in piles waiting; good job on yours, they look great
    thanx for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good on you, Robyn. When I was growing up turning collars was the norm from memory.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Robyn, your collar reversal inspired me to finally fix my favourite multicoloured denim jacket. It was a lot easier than anticipated and the frayed section is out of sight, hope I get another 25 years out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good job , Robyn!

    I’ve been postponing a zipper repair on a pair of pants. I must get it done soon.

    ReplyDelete