Pages

28 Mar 2017

Busy, mischievous chooks

I've always delighted in watching any chooks that I've owned. I love hearing them "chat" to each other and I've acquired a group now that also "chats" to me and follows me around whenever I'm doing jobs outside. The rooster, Figjam, is a real comedian without even trying. He reminds me of Basil Fawlty. His partners do what they like and he pretends to run the place and strides pompously around making noise about it.

The flock was allowed run of the 3 acres last week and, of course, they wandered down to the pile of grass/weeds behind the compost bins and turned it over for me! The closed off north-western section of the chook run is flourishing after the rain and will provide some greens for them over the colder months.

Sunday I noticed the dye berries were ripening in the eastern sheds so I collected those and they had a mini feast.

Yesterday, I discovered some naughty girls had found a nice corner (far left back in picture), in the back shed adjoining their run, to lay their eggs. PC had left the side door open so they had alternate shelter in case it rained heavily again....lol, spoilt chooks....and closed the main double entry doors. I closed off the access last night to encourage them to use their nesting boxes again. Lastly, Henrietta likes to supervise anything I do around the chook pen/yards so she had to jump up and investigate the eggs when I placed them outside to take a photo.

Cheers,
RobynLouise XO
p.s. - to enlarge photos click on them :).




8 comments:

  1. My chooks used to love those berries too, but I didn't pick it for them. Yours are very spoilt! They used to jump very high up the bushes for them though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These bushes are in an area the animals are barred from otherwise they could self serve.

      Delete
  2. I am really looking forward to the day we get our first chooks. They really are so cheeky it seems and clever.

    How many chickens do you have and how many eggs per week on average? We can have up to five chickens. Family of four here and we go through quite a lot of eggs.

    Your chooks have a very good life :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have 6 hens and 3 roosters. Lol, 2 were a mistake as I bought them unsexed! We have an average 2-2.5 dozen eggs a week. You've prompted me to record what we feed our flock, their free ranging, and other, habits and the results for a future post. Thank you!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the lovely look into your life with your girls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. .....and boys! See above reply. I REALLY can't consign my 2 juvenile roosters to the pot because I've become fond of them and Figjam keeps them in line without needing to be a bully about it. I need to rehome them to someone chook friendly.

      Delete
  4. I Loooove the rooster's name! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, PC named him! Type FIGJAM into the search bar and you'll have an explanation for the naming.

      Delete