Pages

4 Mar 2017

Berries and bugs

There's a "weed" in my garden that I know as a dyeberry. I've been cultivating them as I'm going to start a self sowing crop of them in the chicken yard as hens love them. They usually only grow in Summer so I will need to sow some now and see how I go with drying the berries so I can sow them next Spring.




I have no idea what this "weed" is but the flower is very pretty. I may have to see what this develops into and if  hens eat it too.


My little aphid eradicators were all sunning themselves earlier this week but as soon as I brought out the camera they scuttled off. It took me ages to take this photo as each time I turned a leaf the quick little beasties shot off across it and ducked "under" it again. Lol, people say kids and pets are difficult to photograph but I think a minute 6 legged bug is a real test of one's ability!


Cheers,
RobynLouise XO



6 comments:

  1. Don't let the little critters get the best of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. J, I'm going to spend more time just sitting there in future and not moving till they overcome their shyness. A test of patience but it will do me good. :P

      Delete
  2. that looks to be what they call an 'ink weed' around here, the berries stain from memory, not sure if the hens eat it or not though
    thanx for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I lived at the farm I noticed the hens eating these berries. Someone said they were poisonous but there were no fatalities in our flock because of these. The hens loved them.

      Delete
  3. Dye berry never heard of such a critter.Good luck on catching the six legs on film.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know the botanical name of the plant!

    ReplyDelete