Pages

23 Mar 2013

Autumn gardening and a gorgeous girl



The equinox was yesterday and I may have left it too late to do much in the garden except tidy up and tend what I have. 
I didn't realise asparagus had fruit until I saw these on the plants. Another thing to see if I can grow from seed and research the pros/cons of it. 



Today I finished removing the old bean vines and twined the seed grown cucumber plants that I started under them up the old gate. The furthest and nearest plants have begun flowering. I'll have to remember to buy more cane mulch.



Turned that compost pile at the top right of the cucumber photo and discovered my timing was correct as I found an "employee" under it. That means it was becoming too cool to compost effectively.

If you look closely at the left end of the worm you will notice a lighter coloured band near it's end. This is my future crop of free workers as this is the egg sac. 


I still haven't figured out which end is which with worms yet so I'm not sure how "ripe" this egg is or which end it is supposed to slip off.



Discovered some beans on my vine today that weren't there last time! 


Purple climbers are sneaky as they start maturing their produce half way down the plant or at the bottom so if you don't keep checking there are  beans there before you know it.






I was giving my asparagus a quick search for any last minute spears before I leave them over winter when I found this cheeky little bugger - "Here chookies". 








I'll be able to have one more feed of spears before winter I think. Then it will be time to add some mulch and let the asparagus die back before trimming them up for next season.  It's about time I checked the pH levels again too so I can add whatever is necessary to keep future vegetables happy :).






I'd just like to finish this post with a photo of my youngest daughter who is entered in the Teen Showgirl quest at the local Agricultural Show tonight. Her Dad has to take her as she says I make her too nervous. They'll be home in a couple of hours and I'll find out the results. 
*Fingers crossed*

Cheers,
Robyn xo


5 comments:

  1. For some reason I am battling to see photo's on blogs recently. Such a pity - would've loved to have seem your daughter :) But, that won't stop me from wishing her good luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Robyn, you've a nice looking asparagus patch, and beans are always yummy.
    Good luck to your beautiful daughter :D)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck to your beautiful daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for showing us around your autumn garden. I love looking at others peoples vegie patches.

    Hugs & Blessings

    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh gosh she is pretty - I love that she as her fingers crossed for luck - in the photo!

    ReplyDelete