Pages

20 Mar 2013

Now that it's a bit drier.....

...I can manage the vegetable garden again. When I can find it! The pile of future compost next to the upturned crate is mostly from the entranceway. 

This bucket contains those weeds that tend to be impossible to destroy unless you drown them first. The noxious climbers, onion grass and other types that can be difficult to kill even if you compost them.

My free labour hasn't been affected too much by the wet, thankfully. There were lots of little worm tunnels in the soil :). That's not a stick next to the tree label it's one of my workers!


The next crop of purple king climbing beans is coming along nicely. 

I did some minor vege bed alterations after I removed old tomato and lettuce plants and waterlogged spring onions.

A little more work and hopefully I can start some crops before the crisp nights begin. The pumpkin vines will begin to die off then and I'll feed them to the cattle, along with any failed pumpkins I've missed. If I hadn't let the pumpkins go feral I would have hardly any crops at all now!

Cheers,
Robyn xo






2 comments:

  1. Our pumpkins went feral too after all that rain. I am running around spraying them with watered down milk, to try and slow down the powdery mildew from spreading. Don't you love discovering a big pumpkin you didn't know was there when you have a garden tidy up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kim, I have to find them in the kikuyu and it really isn't funny when you trip over one you didn't see and nearly end up face planting yourself in the paddock. However, family members think it is! I have mould eating ladybugs flying around my plants, so am happy to leave them to it as they are doing a great job.

    ReplyDelete