Pages

23 Jan 2017

Cooking, cleaning and chickens

On the weekend, I tried my hand at baking in this. The second-hand oven should be installed soon but I needed a dose of home baking.



These are caramelised onion and cheese rolls. They need tweaking as there is too much butter in the recipe but I always make new recipes, as written, and adjust them when I make them again.

Here is the custard slice. A problem here was cooking this a shelf position too high.
I have noted both corrections and neither problem prevented each of these being edible J.



The last week or so has been decluttering and cleaning, both inside and out.



PC made me another shelf so I would have more storage space.


The box of crockery/glassware to be taken to the op-shop (charity store).


PC also cleared a rock or two from the peach tree garden so we can begin readying it for Autumn planting. Haha…I must research the removal of the rocks the previous owners left here, preferably to our profit! Anyone want some nice sandstone rocks, some come with attached moss and those with fairly level topsides are pre-tested by the resident moggy as resting areas?



The one with the red "hat" here is Biddy. The word "Biddy" has more than one meaning in Australia and it's not complimentary...


Yesterday the hens’ egg production dropped to 4 eggs again. Saturday was when I returned Biddy to the chook yard after ascertaining that she was laying eggs, however, in the week she was absent from the yard production rose from 4 to 6 eggs a day. Therefore, production was down by a third for the first month we owned them. So, from today, Biddy will be confined to the small chook pen and be company for the young rooster, as her overbearing attitude is preventing the two youngest hens from laying. We will need to sort out another housing alternative for them soon. As she lays 3 x 60g (avg) eggs a week she's not going to be chicken soup yet! :P

Cheers,
RobynLouise xo

2 comments:

  1. Robyn that is interesting about Biddy stopping the younger hens from laying. I need to do some cleaning and decluttering too but the heat has hit me hard this year and I seem to be just in survival mode most days. I have much more energy in winter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My cleaning hasn't been quite as extensive as I would have liked as the melting temperatures here have influenced that.

    ReplyDelete