Pages

19 Jun 2015

New experience

I was going to post updates on my knitting and some sleepy cat photos but something more important to my life has arisen so the R&R stuff can wait.

I have spoken to my boss and he has allowed me to change my working hours for next week to fit in with a course I am doing from Tuesday to Friday. It means working/learning 15.5 hours Wednesday and Thursday, 12 hours Tuesday and 9 hours Friday (that'll be easy....if I don't fall asleep!). Thank goodness I'm rostered on to work this Saturday and not the same week as the course.

What am I doing you ask?

I'm training to be a forklift driver!! :D

I figured if I can drive a 4.5tonne GVM truck with 3 horses loaded on it around the hills/corners surrounding Kempsey for years then I can balance an equally breakable load of packaged wine casks/bottles around winery warehouses. It will cost me over a week's current pay to do the course. One of my friends at the winery said not to forget to claim the course fees on my tax and that having a forklift driver's ticket is a definite bonus to gaining a job at the winery. He should know as he's a packaging manager there.

Wish me luck :D!

I'll try to find a few mins each day to take a pictorial record to post here as this is a bit of a milestone for me.

Cheers,
RobynLouise xo



16 comments:

  1. You can do it!! I can see you driving a forklift:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, I'm a bit concerned that at 157cm I may have trouble reaching any front floor pedals!

      Delete
  2. Good luck RobynLouise! I wanted to do a fork lift driver course when I was younger....I think it's a fun thing to be able to do. And it's also useful (of course).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I think it will be useful as most of the people I know best at the winery drive forklifts :).

      Delete
  3. Good on you, Robyn. All the best with your course. The knitting can wait!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, I figure it's a new excuse to forego having to knit :P.

      Delete
  4. All the best. Here's to new experiences.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't exactly on my bucket list but it may eventually earn me more money to achieve some things that are on my bucket list!

      Delete
  5. Hats off to you Robyn ! Enjoy reading your blog and look forward to seeing more !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoy reading my blog as I enjoy writing it, even if it is a bit inconsistent re continuity!

      Delete
  6. Forklifts are fun. If they offer to teach all of the types, take advantage of that, even if you think you will never run those types.

    That certification follows you from job to job, unlike the casual training one could receive on a job. And, just having it on your resume will get you jobs, so good on 'ya!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My older brother offered to teach me how to drive one of his rigs when I was younger but I never seemed to make the time otherwise I'd be cruising the highways in a vehicle with about 24 gears now. I'll drive/ride anything with wheels and I'm learning not to pass up any opportunities like I used to in the past as an opportunity lost is one you sometimes never regain. There's also about 4 different brands of forklift at the winery so I assume they all have differences in operation and where some of the controls are.

      Delete
  7. Thanks everyone for your support! It means a lot to me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You will definitely benefit from having a forklift license. If anything like here it will mean way better pay for having this skill. Good luck. --(aka krystals nova scotia)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It will give me a greater opportunity to be employed in a wider range of jobs as I'm in farming country and just about every farm has access to a forklift to load their produce and then the receivers need forklifts to unload :).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good on ya. Hope it goes well.

    ReplyDelete