Pages

26 Mar 2015

New stuff

I've changed to a new header as I finally have a photo taken locally. Actually from just around the corner of outdoor smoko on one of the lines I clean. The joys of starting work when the sparrows are still stretching their wings :D!

A week ago I tried some new cooking as my sourdough starter needed to be used and I didn't have the time or energy to make bread. So I looked up a recipes for sourdough pancakes/crumpets and this is what followed:



I'm going to give this a few more tries as I added milk instead of water this time and I think that the consistency will be more crumpet-like if I use water. When I'm happy with it I'll invest in some proper crumpet rings instead of using the egg rings. Of course, after a couple of days there weren't any left as I had them with soup, topped with bacon and cheese and grilled and even spread with lemon, lime and ginger marmalade for breakfast as well as just toasted with butter. They are very convenient and tasty :).


I woke Tuesday morning to hear water running through the pipes, and I knew it was too early for the auto irrigation to come on, so I grabbed the first piece of clothing to hand and raced outside to turn off the meter, which was ticking over faster than the second hand on a clock! After contacting the Real Estate agent, and having one plumber try to find the problem and say he couldn't fix it till Thursday, another plumber was sent out to investigate. He spent quite a while trying to locate the area the problem originated in and then had to come back on Wednesday to find and fix the actual problem. It took the plumber and the apprentice most of the day as the broken pipe was under the cement path, which they had to cut through and remove, and then they had to dig out filler consisting of broken rock and glass bottles! The photo is of the nice new piece of piping they welded into the existing pipe. I'm soooooo glad I'm not the landlord as this will have cost a small fortune! 

The agent is going to have the water usage adjusted through the council so I won't have a horrific bill next time :). They were very helpful and nice about the whole situation. My rental inspection was also on Tuesday and the girl who came out was very impressed with how clean and tidy the place was. I didn't tell her it was mostly cleaned with bicarb and vinegar and a bit of home made soap!

After my busy, hectic start to this week I'm hoping for a relaxing weekend!

Cheers,
RobynLouise xo





5 comments:

  1. nothing worse than busted pipes buried under a tonne of cement, glad you were able to get it fixed.
    thanx for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are lucky you heard the water running underneath all that cement. Glad it got fixed .
    By the way your pancakes look very yummy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You were lucky to hear the water running ... a lake outside the door is not a welcome asset!
    Love the look of those crumpets ... mmm butter and honey would be my favourite topping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shirl, more like a houseboat as the water is under the house. Not sure butter and honey would taste ok on crumpets as they are sourdough and taste better with something tart like marmalade or savoury like the bacon and cheese.

      Delete