Pages

12 Feb 2015

Laundry Soap



I'm quite pleased with these and I'll probably medium grate them and swish about a tablespoon in hot water to dissolve it before placing in the soap dispenser of my front loader. As they contain eucalyptus oil I should be able to wash wool jumpers with them too. The laundry, where they are drying, smells of eucalyptus at the moment as the temperature has been in the mid-high 30C range this week.

Here is the recipe for anyone who wants to try it - though you may wish to wait until I've given it a try with my laundry first! :

550g Beef tallow
250g Copha (I used this as it was in the freezer and I've had it for a while)
200g Rice bran oil, 380g Water
146g Caustic soda 
I also blended through 30gm (grams not millilitres) of eucalyptus oil at trace.

Ingredients cost = $4.79 with the copha at $2.86 being the most expensive. As it costs me $4.80 to buy 1kg Planet Ark Orange washing powder when it's on special, and now they've changed the recipe somehow as it makes me sneeze, I think I have a good thing here and it will definitely last me longer than a packet of sneezy laundry powder!

Cheers,
Robyn xo


8 comments:

  1. It looks great, Robyn. Hope it works okay for you. You will have to do a post on how you render the fat. Sounds very messy :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great and I can smell it from your description. Fresh and clean!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it does smell lovely. I'll have to do another lemon myrtle scented lot of bath soaps.

      Delete
  3. If it works Rob I will be trying it as well.

    ReplyDelete