Pages

20 May 2015

The Bucket List and other things.....

I had a doctor's appointment the day after my last blog post to have a small growth on my head inspected. Well, it was fine but I'd been feeling a bit tired and had a couple of head spins while in the waiting room and, as that had happened at work a few times in the previous week, I asked him to take my blood pressure. I knew it was in orbit and I was correct - 180/105. I thought I'd just go home and take the meds, I managed to exercise and diet myself off before, but doctor told me no meds, no strenuous exercise, go home and rest and come back in 3 days for a blood test. He wanted a clean test with no interference from drugs. The usual culprits - vitamin/mineral deficiencies, thyroid, diabetes and cholesterol.

Well everything was fine though I was a bit worried that my cholesterol was up to a total of 5.9 (from 4.9) again but the doc said as the triglycerides and HDL's were at very good levels and the LDL's were low he wasn't too bothered by the total reading.

So....I'm back on meds....again :(. Better than being dead though I suppose *silly grin*. Back to square one - repeat - till I'm off meds again. I'm blaming this on the work stress.

Meanwhile...over on my emails...... Booktopia were having a postage free sale so of course I went in search of the book I've wanted since it was printed and low and behold it was on sale too! Well I can't take my money with me if I cark it and I don't think the government taxes your books after you've gone so I purchased it, and a companion to it, and now I'll have something to read while I drink my green tea and snack on my homemade healthy goodies and can cross it off my Bucket List!




In a renewed effort to have more vegetables in my diet I tried out the Savoury Split Peas recipe on the side of that pack. It was quite tasty, though I did add some tabasco to it to liven up the other condiments, and filling as well as being cheap.




I've been doing some more baking and tried out this Pumpkin Fruit Cake Recipe I found on the internet as I couldn't find the original one I had. DUH!! I knew I had it somewhere safe  (I can just see and hear Matti May laughing) and of course I discovered it last night on the Recipes page on my blog after I'd made the pictured cake and started this post *picture me banging head on hand*. LOL, must be practising for senior's moments but I guess I can blame it on the vagueness caused by high blood pressure!!


I’m not happy with this recipe and I think I’ll go back to the tried and tested one I posted here.

There was a bit of rain around yesterday that kept me housebound and it was accompanied by thunder and lightning. The cat spent the day inside the house and the dog holed up in the shed outside. 

The front yard.


The back yard.

Nearly forgot! My lovely friend gifted me a selection of his brews.  Lol, I jokingly tell him that if there was some way I could clone him I would J. The bottle on the left contains Old, the centre one is Pale Ale and the one on the right is Mexican. I can drink them 3 weeks after the dates on the caps so I could have the Old now….if I could lower this damn blood pressure! Suppose it gives me something to look forward to….sigh….




Cheers,
RobynLouise

7 comments:

  1. I just know you will bring your BP down again, Robyn. Go easy on the alcohol now! Glad you found your pumpkin cake recipe. I can't have dried fruit since giving up sugar so will have to give it a miss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Robyn, that pumpkin fruit cake looks delicious. I think I will give it a go using your original recipe and substituting the flour with gluten free.
    Gosh that rain looks heavy...here, down south, it's been a little milder although we've had our fair share this year.
    I've recently discovered Rhonda's blog...DTE, I love it. I'm sure those books are great resources!
    Good luck with your health...sounds like your doctor has his year to the ground.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pictured cake is too moist and I think it's because it has so much fruit in it. I can also make 2 cakes from the original recipe so a one kilo bag of dried fruit gives me twice the value! Are you a member of the DTE forums - https//:simpleliving(dot)forums(dot)net - or follow the link on Rhonda's blog? I haven't put the link to the new forum on my blog yet so I must do that.

      Delete
    2. Hello again, sorry for the delay in replying, I'm not at all familiar with forums, usually just get an update of her blog via email. Yikes...I'm afraid I don't know much about these.

      Delete
  3. You have had a lot of rain!!
    At a church fair a couple of weeks ago I bought a pumpkin fruit cake ... it was sooooo scrummy, but was darker in colour than your photo.
    I hope your BP comes down!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My cake was overmoist but it was a bit difficult to cook it out as the moisture came from the high fruit content. I also make a boiled fruit cake that has a nice rich brown colour. Re the bp - I'll do it as I've done it before...just need to be a bit stricter on myself regarding diet and exercise.

      Delete