Pages

5 May 2015

Posts, Projects and Pleasant People

Well, I aimed to try to make one post a week – or 4 a month – on the blog when I started posting this year but I’ve already mucked that goal up as I only made 3 in April. Even though it averages out to 4 a month that’s not quite the same. It’s not as if I don’t have more than enough to post!

This last week I’ve been ripping out unwanted plants and discovering new areas to plant ones I do want. In other words….anything edible :D.




I tried a no knead sourdough recipe but I need to work on that some more as the timing for using the dough has to be correct. The temperature here could have been a bit on the cold side too.  I feel my effort could have been less dense and risen more and I don’t want to use yeast to do this. I have made no knead yeast bread already.



I’ve started some lemon/lime vinegar. The juice is frozen in ice cubes in the deep freeze or has been used in lemon/honey drinks, as salad dressing and also glazed roasted whole chickens.



After the letdown with the social evening I was delighted to have an early Mother’s Day present from my daughter in the form of a dinner for one at the restaurant where she works. She was my waitress for the night J. I had an entrĂ©e of Oysters Kilpatrick, a main dish with calamari and prawns and a yummy cheese platter for dessert with a very fine Sauvignon Blanc to wash it down.
I had my hair cut and coloured while I was over there too. It’s been a long time and as I’m off to the Riverina DTE meet up this weekend the photo will have to wait until after then .

I had a friend visit me yesterday with a box of goodies. There’s 2 jars of tomato relish, one of corn relish, the big jar is tomato pickle, and there’s one of fig jam. The bottle contains plum sauce. As you can see there’s also fresh granny smith apples – that taste unlike any I’ve ever had before as those were bought from stores and these are home grown – and a bag of walnuts. I’ve already depleted the apples by one, which is why there are only 3 in the photo, and started diminishing the walnuts and also opened a jar of tomato relish, which is really delicious.


All these lovely items were given to me in exchange for a bag of my homegrown lemons and limes as he wants them to flavour his home brew beer. I’ve promised him some lemon butter in the future too.  He made all the preserves and, just by the way, his name is Phil! There must be something about that name….LOL!

Cheers,
RobynLouise


5 comments:

  1. Ha ha! You can't escape from all the Phil's! I place my no-knead dough in the morning sun if the ambient temp is cold - yes ambient temperature certainly impacts no-knead more significantly than normal bread making methods.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm single at the moment but any male named Phil will certainly have my interest as the two I do know are into the same lifestyle I am and both of them make me laugh :). Shame my friend here is already in a relationship! Think I'll have to put my no-knead sourdough in the laundry outside to rise next time if I don't have the wood fire burning to set it down near.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved the story, can't help with the bread. Glad you enjoyed the meal. Blog when you feel like it... That's all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My blog has been lagging as well. I was hoping to do more but find I just don't think of it as I am doing things. I have my finger in too many pies already. LOL :)
    Just post when you feel like it. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a lovely post!! Lemon butter?! I can't blame Phil. Enjoy your goodies :)

    -Soma

    ReplyDelete